Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cranberry salad dressing

Okay, so I'm going to start you off letting you know this may be the best salad dressing you ever eat. It's just amazing stuff. The recipe is from Ali over at Nourishing Meals however this particular recipe is from her cookbook. The whole life nutrition cookbook, one of my favorites. I was also hoping to get this to you before Thanksgiving, but alas that did not happen. I did make it for my Thanksgiving feast this year, and plan on making it again soon. Not sure if you could use frozen cranberries for this recipe but plan on trying later in the year to see if it works. It probably would. It would also make a wonderful Christmas salad dressing or even for Valentines Day due to the beautiful color!

If you are interested in what else I made for Thanksgiving I made a Maple Cream pie from this recipe at the NY times.  I now make this every year for thanksgiving and it's pretty amazing stuff. The NY is a great resource for Thanksgiving recipes- a little late now but Thanksgiving recipes tend to be good for finding yummy things to eat when the weather outside is cold.

I do some slight changes to the salad dressing recipe, she cooks the cranberries and shallots and I do not. I have never made this recipe with cooked cranberries so I don't know what the taste difference is. However I feel there should be more raw cranberries in my life and since they are pretty difficult to eat by themselves this is a good way to eat them raw. Cranberries are also a great source of nutrition. Your bladder will thank you later for eating them.

It's rather common knowledge these days that cranberry juice can prevent and sometimes even cure a bladder infection. I myself have cured a bladder infection with cranberry juice. Cranberries are also high in antioxidants which defend the body from free radicals. Free radicals attack cells in your body- they are something you don't want. This is why antioxidant foods are so great, they assist your body in staying in optimum health by keeping invaders out. Cranberries also have Anti-inflammatory benefits and help to fight cancer. For more cranberry info go to whfoods.com.

Alright so here is the recipe. Again this is from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook, which was written locally here in Bellingham and is full of dairy free gluten free yummy stuff.

You will need a blender for this recipe, but a food processor or hand blender would work to (note the picture of the Turkey below was thrown in from our Thanksgiving Dinner- I didn't cook it but it was a pretty bird!)


Ingredients:

2 shallots, sliced
1 cup fresh cranberries
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I didn't have this so I used white wine vinegar)
3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon Orange zest
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Chop the shallots into usable pieces and combine all ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth. This salad is great on top of Turkey and spinach. I found that Ali does actually have this recipe on her blog and you can see her version here.

This should stay good in your fridge for about 10 days.

This recipe part of Fat Tuesday Forager festival over at http://realfoodforager.com/2011/12/fat-tuesday-december-6-2011/

This post also part of Fight Back Friday from http://www.foodrenegade.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This looks really good! Hope to see you next week!

    Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!
    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/12/fat-tuesday-december-6-2011/

    ReplyDelete