Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lima bean Succotash


A succotash in usually a dish containing Lima beans, or beans, and corn. I didn't use corn for this recipe. This recipe in general is a bit strange for this site because it includes meat. I've recently started adding meat into my diet. Still adjusting to how I feel about that since I have been a strict vegetarian since the age of 14. I will be turning 30 next month.

There is a large variety of reasons that have pushed me in the direction of eating meat again. So far I have been eating fish and chicken/turkey. Red meat feels like a whole different step.

Alot of it comes down to the importance of lots and lots of minerals we need for our bodies and the best source of that is simply meat. I have also been reading the GAPS diet book, and How to Cute tooth decay. Both of these books talk about the importance of a grain free diet for health. Grains are a large staple of the vegetarian diet. They also talk about the importance of meat as a health food.

Soy is also an issue. 91% of soy we eat is genetically modified. I want to avoid GM foods as much as possible and avoiding soy helps. There has a lot been a lot of recent research on how soy causes its own array of health problems. I think soy can still be healthy, however, but in it's traditional fermented forms such as tempeh, natto, and miso. All excellent health foods if not eaten too much.

Lima beans themselves are a bit interesting. I hadn't eaten them in many years and for one reason or another I started to crave them. They are very rich in minerals! Here is a great link to the health benefits of the Lima Bean.


This meal is best planned ahead.

You will need:

1 cup Lima Beans
1 small zucchini
1 stalk celery
1/2 green bell pepper
2 chicken or pork sausages that are nitrate free (or use Tempeh)(I used Italian flavored with fennel)
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp sea salt

Step one:

Soak 1 cup of Lima beans over night in water

When ready to make your dish, cook Lima beans by draining off soaking water and rinsing beans.

Cook Lima beans in three cups of water over medium heat. When it comes to a boil lower heat to low and cover for about an hour. Meanwhile:




Dice the following:

One Onion
One celery stalk
One half of a green bell pepper
One small zucchini



Over medium heat cook the onion first in coconut oil, butter, or lard until soft. Then add the other vegetables and cook until soft.



In another pan cook two sausages. I used chicken sausage.



After sausage is cooked chop and add to vegetables. Add cooked Lima beans. Mix together and add 2 teaspoons of thyme and 2 teaspoons of sea salt.


Serve!

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice healthy dish and i enjoy eating beans all the time. Thank you for sharing this with hearth and soul hop :)
    www.sunshineandsmile.com

    ReplyDelete