Sunday, August 7, 2011

Grain free Blueberry coconut pancakes

Pancakes have to be Leo's favorite breakfast. When we were picking strawberries a few weeks ago and I asked him what we were going to do with them he said "make pancakes!"

I've been delving a bit into GAPS and learning about the potential benefits of being grain free. Surprisingly, you can still eat lots of yummy things on a grain free diet. Including these coconut blueberry pancakes. I got the recipe from http://www.nourishingdays.com and changed it slightly; using keifer instead of milk, lowering the amount of baking soda and adding blueberries which are very abundant right now!

I've been making my own keifer. When I started I felt pretty unsure about it, but now I  love it. It's great to have around for cooking and the keifer eats all the lactose in milk so I find myself using keifer for all my baking needs instead of milk-substitutes. Don't get me wrong, I do love hemp milk and even soy milk, but they aren't the freshest foods to be eating. When you buy them boxed they are heated to a pretty high temp to stay good in there and not go bad. I tried making my own hemp milk a few times but it wasn't very good. Plus regular milk is just more nutrient dense, and keifer is full of probiotics!


Here is the pancake recipe, but note if you don't have access to keifer use yogurt. Otherwise you can use milk or a milk substitute.

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup Keifer
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 TBS honey (or maple syrup)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour (yes that's all you need!)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • Butter/ coconut oil for frying
  • Blueberries! (optional)

  • Mix liquid ingredients together well (eggs, keifer, vanilla, honey). Make sure the eggs are well combined and frothy.
  • In a separate bowl mix coconut flour, baking soda, and salt.
  • Combine
Your best bet for success in this recipe is to use cast iron. I use an enamel covered cast iron pan.

Heat your grill with coconut oil or butter until hot over medium heat.

Once hot add your batter. Note this recipe will cook different then regular pancakes! It feels more like cooking eggs. Make the pancakes small but thick. Use the back of a spoon to spread them out. If using blueberries, add them now by pressing them into the cooking pancakes.

Make sure the pancakes are well cooked on one side before flipping or you will have a mess! Once you flip your pancakes cook just a few minutes more and enjoy with your favorite pancake toppings. This is one of my favorite pancake recipes. Great to try even if you aren't grain free! Plus with all the eggs they are quite high in protein. I feel a lot fuller eating these pancakes than traditional ones.  The leftovers also make great toddler snacks.










No comments:

Post a Comment