Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tahini Thumb Print Cookies (Gluten Free)



These cookies are high protein and gluten free. Which means they are great for snacks! I made them for my little toddler.

Kelly The Kitchen Kop, as many of you probably already know, is having a class real food for rookies, which you can learn more about here. Kelly's class is an affiliate for my blog so if you sign up you are supporting this blog! Thank you :)

Very soon I will be giving away one free class! So stay tuned if you are interested in taking it. I will also be giving away out a discount coupon for the class as well.

Kelly's class covers the basics of the real food movement. What is that? It means eating like your grandmother, as Michael Pollen put it. Or better yet your great grandmother! We live in a time with many new health problems. We live in a time where many people lack cooking skills, and in turn lack those skills to teach to their children. There is a lot of confusion about what diet is actually the "healthy" diet and what should we actually be eating. That knowledge used to be passed generation to generation but now that system is broken. Taking Kelly's class helps restore that knowledge as it is about food people ate traditionally. What kind of food is that? Meat, dairy, butter, and fermented foods, to name a few. Foods that you probably thought were bad for you. But meat and and dairy have potential to be very good for you if used correctly! The Real food for rookies class will show you how and WHY you need these foods to be healthy. You may think it's a bit odd to hear me promoting meat on my vegetarian blog! But I do think grass fed animals can play a very healthy part in a diet. But I also don't think you HAVE to have meat to be healthy.

I've been a much healthier happier person since finding and eating real foods. My moods have stabilized, my weight has stabilized, my skin is clearer, my hair is shiner. It's a pretty good way to diet. Basically, eat good whole foods = feel awesome!

And here is that cookie recipe you have been waiting for!



High Protein Tahini Gluten Free Cookies

1 3/4 cups Rice Flour
1/2 cup hemp flour
1/2 arrowroot flour (or tapioca)
1 t xantham gum
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t sea salt

Mix Dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl mix together:

1/2 cup good quality tahini
2 T coconut oil (or palm or butter)
1/2 cup rapadura (whole cane sugar)
1 EGG (if you don't eat eggs use 2 T flax seed in 1/4 C hot water)
1 T maple syrup (optional if you don't have it)
2 T applesauce
1 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon

Add wet and dry ingredients together. If you think the dough is a bit dry you can add more applesauce.



Roll into little balls and press down with your thumb. Bake for 12 minutes at 350. I left my cookies black for the most part, but you can fill them with jam, or an almond, or any other cookie fillings you have laying around! I recommend apricot jam. I filled a couple with habanero raspberry jam that was amazing, but too hot for my toddler!


This post linked to Real Food Wednesdays!

This post also linked to http://wearethatfamily.com/

Thanks for reading!





This post entered into Fight Back Fridays!

http://www.blogcatalog.com/directory/food_drink/home/

2 comments:

  1. These look yummy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks sooo delicious! Now the only problem is i have to choose bt this and an egg tahini salad recipe i found for lunch.....so hard to chooose!!


    http://www.draxe.com/video/egg-tahini-salad-transform-your-kitchen-ep-23/

    ReplyDelete