Monday, September 27, 2010

Gluten Free Birthday Dessert!


Birthdays! Who doesn't love 'em? Well, today (technically yesterday) is my birthday, and since I love baking I made my own concoction.

The trouble was I couldn't decide what to make, and threw something together last minute. But it turned out! And it's a bit different, which is good.

So what did I make?

I made Maple Walnut Buttermilk cupcakes (gluten free) with Pumpkin Custard for frosting. The key to these is I have been on the lookout for frosting alternatives to avoid the powdered sugar. I have found a few but none yet that have been ideal. This is my favorite alternative thus far! Plus is perfect with the onset of fall. It's fairly simple, not too sugary, but rich and will compliment a cake well.

I can't give you the recipe for the cupcakes because I didn't write things down as I was putting them in the bowl.  I could give estimates but that doesn't help most bakers.

However, I will give you the recipe for this awesome pumpkin custard topping. Note, you don't need cake for pumpkin custard, go ahead and eat it by itself.

Pumpkin Custard

One Pie pumpkin, baked.
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 cups heaving whipping cream
2 T whole cane sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon clove
1 T coconut oil (optional)

Blend or food process pumpkin with maple syrup, coconut oil, and spices.

Remove pumpkin and add to a large bowl.

In blender or food processor blend whip cream and whole cane sugar until thick, being careful not to over blend. This part is important! Note make sure to use good quality cream from pastured cows.

Add whip cream to bowl with pumpkin and fold in. Voila! You have a great dessert.



I also received a dessert book for my birthday, the pages are golden and it is huge and shiny. I feel overwhelmed looking at it with so many new recipes to try. Hopefully you will all see some of them soon on this blog, but modified, of course, to encompass my whole foods approach.

I hope you are all enjoying fall. It is a great time of year to start reflecting and making the journey inward as we prepare for the cold. If you haven't had the chance it's not too late to do some preserving. I am making lacto-fermented pickles as we speak. I also made some blackberry/Italian plum agar agar jam (recipe to be posted soon) to go in my freezer. I also plan on making garlic honey and infusing some oils and vinegars for later use. What do you do in your kitchen to prepare for the cold season ahead?


This post linked to Monday mania!

This post also linked to Hearth and Soul

This posted linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

6 comments:

  1. Oh I do love a good birthday cupcake and these are so creative! I love that you can find something that satisfies your soul and still works within your dietary needs! Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to YOU!!! I would say that is celebrating in style...gorgeous marriage of flavors =) I totally want to try it...AND garlic honey (hello. yum.)! Hope your day was great...and thank you for sharing a little bit of it with us at the hearth and soul hop this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat that frosting straight from the bowl, or turn it into a pumpkin cream pie so I can pretend I'm not insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to you! I'm so glad to see that someone else bakes like I do, totally without a net! And I can see that you have some great results, too. I've been craving maple-walnut, maybe in an ice cream. Here's to another great year! Thank you for linking up with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, you have an interesting blog. Nourishing Traditions and gluten-free recipes sound right up my alley. I'll be back! :)

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to You!!! Ah, another who makes her own "cake"! I love the pumpkin custard topping - how delicious!! Thanks for sharing a little bit of your celebration with us at the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete