Sunday, September 12, 2010

Corn Chowder


If you haven't noticed yet it's harvest season! Perfect time for vegetable dishes of all types. Here is a great chowder using fresh corn, fresh potatoes and fresh peppers! This would turn out well later in the year when peppers are from Mexico and the corn is frozen, but if you get the chance try it now. Your body will appreciate it.

The first trick to this recipe is the corn. You may already know this but I just found out from Rebecca Wood's book The Splendid Grain that corn grated on a cheese grater (large holes) works fantastic for soups and other corn baking dishes. It is messy, however, but worth the extra effort. It is also easier to do this by cutting the ears of corn in half. Use all of the milk from the corn as well and if needed run a knife over the outside of the cob afterwards to pull off excess corn (Tip: wear an apron.) I also didn't have broth on hand for this dish, so if you have it replace the water and bouillon with vegetable or meat broth.

Julie's Corn Chowder
Serves 3

Four ears of corn (prepared according to directions above)
3 medium potatoes
1 large carrot
1/2 red bell pepper
1 jalapeno
1 small onion
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups water + 1 cube bouillon
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 tea allspice
sea salt to taste

Put corn in the soup pan after it is grated.

Dice onion and bell pepper and saute for a few minutes in butter (or coconut oil) until translucent. Add onions/peppers to soup pot. Add water and bouillon. Cut potato, carrots, and jalapeno and add to the soup (make sure to cut the jalapeno small). Add sage and all-spice. Cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat. Just before soup is done add the milk and salt to taste, and you have a great late summer soup. I ate this with buttermilk gluten free biscuits and apple cobbler. Note, this soup would still be great without the milk!

Fun fact about corn: Corn cannot pollinate itself and needs us in order to survive! Good thing we grow so much of it. The growth of corn is heavily subsidized by the government which is one of the main reasons high fructose corn syrup is so cheap and abundant in our society.


Here is a few pictures of my son Leo. We went on the Whatcom County Farm tour this last weekend. One picture is at Bellwood acres (apple farm) and another is at Cloud Mountain Farm, a nursery in Everson. I'm already excited to go again next year. The weather turned out great for an end of summer outing. Plus, it is important to get to know your farmer! I am lucky that I live in an area so abundant with fresh food. We have many farms here in whatcom county growing lots of fruit and vegetables as well as dairy farmers and animal farms. In the summer months I do my best to eat as local as possible. Since this is a new concept to me within the last few years I am getting better each year. Hopefully next year will be even better. My goal for next year is to make canning a new family tradition. I've made some freezer jam but no actual canning yet.

If you make the soup please leave a comment telling me how it turned out. Enjoy!







Also, don't forget you can still sign up for the Real food for Rookies ecourse! Classes start 9/16/2010. Go here to register

6 comments:

  1. Bunny bunny, did you know you posted this article at 11:11? Make a wish! the angels are watching over you! :) I LOVE corn chowder and only just learned the grating trick. I will get my kids to do that dirty job! I have two ears of corn just steamed last night. Maybe I will half this recipe and give it a try! Thanks for sharing on the hearth n soul hop! and Leo is awesome!!!! I miss bebe's! mine are teens! Hugs. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet the grating is fun - that is a new trick for me - I think this soup sounds amazingly fresh and delish! Leo is a handsome dude!! Thanks for linking to the hearth'nsoul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alex and Christy! 11:11 is my faviorate time I didn't realize I had posted then :) My little guy is still forever a baby in my eyes, but I'm sure that will change so very fast! Note if you half the recipe you could probably just half the corn and still use as much of everything else to have more soup. It would just be less chowdery. But still good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made (or eaten) corn chowder! It looks delicious and hearty though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking up with Hearth and Soul. Great tip about the corn! I've never taken it to a grater. I've got company coming tonight, and I was thinking of making a soup, because I don't know what time I'll be serving. And this sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love corn chowder...this version sounds fabulous. Your son is too adorable =) thanks for sharing w/ hearth'nsoul.

    ReplyDelete