Monday, August 9, 2010

Cabbage and Hijiki in Mustard Sauce (Healing With Whole Foods)

Cabbage and Hijiki




Cabbage and Hijiki are both very medicinal foods. I use to not like both of these foods, but now I think they are great. Seaweed can be hard to get into a western diet. Hijiki is a mild tasting seaweed and worth trying if you don't normally like seaweed. When cooked, its taste becomes even more mellow. Some healing properties of Hijiki according to "Healing With Whole Foods" By Paul Pitchford (a great food resource.)

Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition (3rd Edition)

Hijiki:

detoxifies the body, cooling to the body, benefits the thyroid, and moistens dryness. Also has ample amounts of calcium, iron and iodine (the latter usually strongly lacking from the western diet) B2 and niacin. Good for bones and teeth, helps normalize blood sugar, helps with weight loss, and supports hormone functions. It also makes your hair shiny. I ate a lot of seaweed before I had Leo and I noticed a significant increase in the quality of my hair which is partly why I am trying to get it back into my regular meals.



Cabbage: great for the digestive system and intestines. Cabbage has an ample amount of sulfur which acts to destroy parasites and purify the blood. I just planted Cabbage in my garden to have later this fall. This is my first fall/winter garden so we shall see if it does well. Cabbage is a good fall/winter plant.




The following recipe is adapted from Healing with Whole Foods. I changed it, but not because it wouldn't be good the way it was, but that I have a hard time following recipes.



1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped.

2 small carrots, shredded

1/8 cup of hijiki rinsed then soaked for 15 minutes (make sure you discard the soaking water!)

1 cake of baked tofu (optional) (mine was sweet chili flavored)

sesame oil for cooking (olive oil will work as well)



SAUCE:

2 T soy sauce/tamari or braggs

1/2 t mustard power

1/2 t fenugreek

1/4 cup milk, optional (I used Eden blend rice/soy milk, but almond milk would be great too)



Mix ingredients for sauce together in small bowl.



Heat pan with oil



Fry Cabbage and carrots and tofu if using for one or two minutes. Add Hijiki and fry for two or three minutes. Add sauces and continue to cook until cabbage looks shiny and done. Careful not to overcook. My cabbage turned out well cooked but I think this would be a bit better if it was slightly crispy still. But it is up to you.



So how does this interesting meal taste? Surprisingly good. Slightly salty and mellow flavored. I didn't notice much of a seaweed taste and cabbage has a mellow taste when cooked as well. It would be a good meal served with jasmine rice. Enjoy!

Note: Here is some more interesting info on Hijiki from Eden foods

This post linked to Monday Mania blog carnival and
Two for Tuesdays

6 comments:

  1. Julie, I did not know this about hijiki. Wonderful explanation/recipe on this obviously beneficial seaweed and how it can blend with other flavors. I am always struggling with how to get more seaweed in. Thanks for sharing at Monday Mania!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've never tried Hijiki...but I'll be on the lookout for some, it sounds really good. Great combo here...and yum, sweet chili tofu! I would love to try the combo of all these flavors mingling together. Thanks so much for sharing this with Two for Tuesdays this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting seaweed in can be tricky! I feed my son Nori as a snack and he loves it. One way is to add some kind of seaweed to most asain dishes when you are cooking them because the flavor compliments well, however, I haven't been eating as many asain dishes lately. The whole life nutrition cook book has a recipe with soaked almonds food processed with hijiki carrots and red pepper (for a cracker dip) that is really good. Maybe I will do a post of that recipe sometime. Also note that different seaweeds have different properties but in general they are all very high in vitimans and great for skin/hair/bones/teeth. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to eat seaweed all the time, and now I do not. This salad is making me want to get some again, especially for the benefit of my family. Thanks for sharing this recipe with Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jules! this recipe wicked ROCKS! So good for you! I love the taste of hijiki and would say next to dulse it is my favorite sea vegetable. So supportive for the thyroid! Thanks for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seaweed - often just eat it straight - never heard of hijiki but I will be looking for it now! thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete