Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sprouted Rice

Sprouted Rice.



Now is a great time to make this. Why? Well because Rice can be tricky to spout and sprouting is very easy in the warm summer months! Rice is also great for cooling summer heat (according to Healing with Whole Foods). Sprouted food in general also cools the body plus it is easier to digest.


Pick any kind of brown rice. I'm pretty sure I used brown basmati rice, because that is my fav. But I have many kinds of rice on hand at all times. Short grain, long grain, jasmine, Black Rice, Red Volcano Rice, there are so many kinds!

Soak your rice over night, or for 6 to 8 hours.

Drain.

Rinse two to three times a day.

You can do this by leaving them in a colander or by using a mason jar with a cheese cloth on it or a handy sprouting lid






Sprouting Strainer Lid - Fits Most Wide-mouth Mason, Kerr & Ball Canning / Pickling Jars - Perfect to Use for Sprouts & Sprouting in Salads. Convert Any Standard Jar Into a Sprouter. Growing Sprouts Is Healthy & Fun.

I use something very similar to this lid. It makes it way easier.

Drain your rice after Rinsing by putting it upside down in a dish rack or bowl.

Proper Draining is important!

Your rice should be ready in two to three days. It is done when there are small sprouts coming off of it. Don't let it go for too long or it may get moldy or go bad. You KNOW when it goes bad. It has a strong unpleasant smell. This can also happen from not rinsing.


As you can see in this picture I also soak my nuts before eating them. This makes them more digestible. Nuts are one of the more difficult foods to digest. Think of how much power is in one nut! Think of a walnut, then picture a walnut tree! Nuts have things in them to encourage them only to grow at the right time.. Soaking them starts the spouting process which releases all of that dormant energy. After I soak them over night I toast them on low in the oven to make them crunchy and store well. Soaked nuts go back quickly, which I have learned several times recently... But when you dehydrate them they last for many months in a cool place!

So what do you do with all of that rice? Well you could make rice milk by blending it with water.

I used it to make Spanish rice.


This is a pretty simple meal. The Rice was cooked with onions, garlic, and a canned of fire roasted tomatoes. I used canned black beans as a side. I generally prefer to cook my own beans, but I keep canned beans around as a quick "fast food" for when that doesn't happen.

Sprouted Rice also makes a great breakfast cereal when cooked with water or milk.

This post is part of two for tuesdays Blog Carnival!
http://girlichef.blogspot.com/2010/07/two-for-tuesdays-vol5.html

9 comments:

  1. Wow! thanks for all the great information! I've been building up to sprouting grains...almost there...this is very encouraging =) ...I'd love it if you'd link up to the Two for Tuesdays REAL food blog hop w/ this post...it's a perfect fit! (http://girlichef.blogspot.com/2010/07/two-for-tuesdays-vol5.html ...if you're interested!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the info helped! I just joined the blog carnival, thanks for the invite. Sprouting is one of the first things I did when I got into "real" food. Some things sprout very easy, others are a bit tricky. But it is mostly easy and it's great because it feels like there is a garden in your kitchen. Plus it is so much better for your body. I'm working on trying to sprout things more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi five bunnies and so glad you DID join the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! I totally agree with you on the sprouting thing! I am a farmer in one quart jars! I have some clover, broccoli and radish sprouting right now as we speak! NEVER tried rice, but I will now! Thanks again and will follow your blog..I look forward to getting to know you better! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also laughing because I drove right through your town last week going to canada with my friend! I love your area! I am from the east and it is SO very different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you joined us!! I'm going to start small...a quart at a time and venture into the world of sprouting grains. Thanks again for the great info and I hope you join us often =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I want one of those lids. I always use cheesecloth. I tried sprouting rice one time, but it didn't work. But I think I've got some brown basmati in the cupboard, and you've insprired me to give it another go. Thanks for sharing with the blog hop at T4T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never done this and I think I might just have the courage to try. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the support and I hope your sprouting experiments go well! Having the right lid helps a lot.. I used a wire mesh one before too and it worked well but quickly turned rusty.

    Alex, the northwest is definately a place of it's own. I'm glad you got to see it, especially since it's such a contrast from the east coast! I've never been east myself.. but someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been down the sprouting rice road. I have soaked/dehydrated nuts, I imagine this is a simple next step. Glad you linked to 24T's!

    ReplyDelete