Saturday, July 3, 2010

Gluten Free Lentil Burgers



Lentil Burgers!

I've been on a gluten free diet lately. I was tested recently for celiac and thankfully it came out negative. But I still suspect some gluten intolerance. We shall see! The only way to figure it out is stay off the gluten and then reintroduce it. Some days I think I feel way better without it, some days I feel no difference. Most days, however, I miss bread. I made these and didn't use a bun due to avoiding gluten, however, they were rich enough that I didn't miss the bun. I think using bread may even take away from their flavor.

I used sprouted red lentils. But you can use any kind of lentils, sprouted or not. I recommend at least soaking them over night first. This makes them more digestible. You will also need a food processor for this project.

First, cook the lentils. Cook one cup lentils in about two cups of water. Bring lentils to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer. Add some sea salt near the end of cooking time.

Cooked Lentils
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/8 cup grated carrot
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup rice flour
1/4 quinoa (if you don't have this on hand it will work without it, I used some leftovers)
1 t cumin
1 t oregano
herbmare or sea salt to taste



Blend sunflower seeds in food processor until finely ground. Add all other ingredients except for rice flour. Blend well. Add half of rice flour, blend again. Test mixture for thickness. If it is not thick enough, add more rice flour. If you have ever made falafel, it should be a similar consistency. The finished product should be thick and heavy. Kind of like cookie dough. I am not sure how much rice flour I used as I don't like to use measurements, but should more, since I am writing a food blog...

Form into patties, and fry. I used a cast iron skillet, which worked great. I fried these in cold pressed sesame oil as well. Coconut oil would also work.
Top with your favorite toppings. I used avocado sauce, and barbecue sauce.


I made a coleslaw to go with them


But I will give that recipe another day!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I came across your post on Stephan Guyenets blog where you mentioned healing with wholefoods. That's one of my favourite books and has led me to spend the last four years studying nutrition in college. So I just thought I'd pop bye and say hi and see what you're about. I'm always delighted to see anyone mention it as it's been such a source of inspiration in my life.

    I blog here:

    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/

    if you fancy checking it out :)

    Take care,
    Khrystyna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for my first comment Khrystyna! Healing with whole foods has been an inspirations to me as well. It opened up a whole new world of food for me. I never thought of food as being so important before. I've gone further away from that book and have been focusing for on nurishing traditions, but feel I should go back to it. I haven't seen much information about healing with whole foods, and part of my idea for the blog is to talk more about the concepts and recipes from the book as I go. I've been focusing more on recipes to get started. That's great that you got a nutrition degree. I've been thinking about that as well. We'll see if I go back to school though! Maybe someday :) I like your blog btw!

    ReplyDelete