Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cherry Chutney (Nourishing traditions)


Cherries!



Cherry season is almost over, but with this you can preserve some cherries for a few months. There are many wonderful ways to eat cherries. The best is the classic way to eat them plain as is. Recently cherries have been shown to act as a mild pain killer (similar to aspirin) on the body. But they need to be fresh to have this effect, and you need to eat a decent amount of them. Another great reason to eat your fruit!

This Chutney is a nourishing traditions recipe
Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats

You will need to whey for this recipe, which helps preserve the chutney and ferment it. This step is very important as the fermentation adds valuable enzymes which is half the point of making fermented things (the other half is to preserve it). Here is a how you make whey.

For the Chutney:

Four cups ripe cherries, pitted and quartered (I halved mine)

1/2 tea coriander seeds
1/2 tea whole cloves
grated rind and juice of one whole orange
1/4 cup whey
1/8 cup rapadura (whole cane sugar)
2 tea sea salt
1/2 cup filter water

Put the cherries in wide mouth mason jar. Mix other ingredients  in another bowl, then pour over cherries. Make sure the cherries are two inches below the liquid. Add more water if needed. Put a lid on it then leave it at room temp for two days in order to ferment. Then move it to your fridge, where it will keep for about two months.



All done! So how does this taste? Different then I thought. I pictured sweeter. I made have added to much salt. The salt helps preserve the food as well. It has a strong spice/orange/salt taste. But it's good. However, chutney is usually used on meat dishes, and as a vegetarian I haven't decided what would go good with this dish! Maybe some wild rice? We shall see. Let me know if you have any ideas!




This post added to Real food wednesdays!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I too just made my first cherry chutney and I love it! I am a vegetarian too and found it worked wonderfully in ways I would use salsa. I added a spoonful to bowls of dal, bean salads, eggs (if you eat those), sauteed kale, and even lentil soup! Hope those ideas help you enjoy this tasty condiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Thanks for the tips. Sounds great with kale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah cherry is over!lol but its nice to know that there's such a great idea to preserve everything. I like cherry, it is very delicious fruit. Some of us have covered the health benefits of it.

    my bio: http://healthyflat.com

    ReplyDelete