Monday, July 19, 2010

Blue GF Cornbread



Blue Corn Gluten Free Corn Bread!

I love Cornbread. But for some reason the past dozen or so times I have made corn bread, it didn't rise well and came out a bit strange. It did, however, taste good. The problem was the recipe. So, I changed it! This may be the best corn bread I have made. I think the key is the xantham gum. I'm not a huge fan of using this, but, I see it is a good comprise now that I am GF.


If you don't have blue corn, you can use regular corn flour. But I like blue corn.

Recipe:

1 1/4 cups blue corn flour
1 1/4 cups rice flour
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 T sea salt
1T baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Mix dry ingredients together. Make a well in the center of dry mix or mix in a separate bowl:

1 egg.
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup water
1/3 melted coconut oil
3 T honey

Blend everything together. It should be a thick pancake like batter. Add more water if needed. I needed to add more water to mine so the amounts may be off slightly.



Bake at 350 for 20ish minutes. Enjoy!



Again, this is some of the best cornbread I have had. I hope your comes out as well!



I made my corn bread into a Sunday of sorts.

I cut it in half and filled with pink beans and cheese and topped it with more beans, salsa, and sour cream. It was like eating desert for dinner.

For those of you interested as well I made my own sour cream this past week! I turned out well. I recently found out that many companies use powdered milk in the products! This is not good. Powered milk is all kinds of bad. Whole milk is good, however. So I checked the ingredients on my Organic Valley sour cream I had been buying, and one of the ingredients is non fat milk. Non fat milk does not belong in cream, which leads me to believe it is powdered milk, because according to this post powdered milk can be added to products and they can just label it "milk." Part of the problem is that we have a milk surplus right now. But I was quite upset by this as I have been trying to avoid powdered milk. I used Nancy's organic milk products because they have great flavor, but at least they state on the package that they use powdered milk. So I stopped using them. Really I just need to make my own milk products. It is not hard, it's just different. My first sour cream turned out great and was really easy. I was quite sure that I was about to ruin a perfectly good quart of cream... I will be trying again a few more times and then posting the results.

For those who cannot wait take one tablespoon of butter milk an add it to a quart of cream in a very clean jar. Leave 20 to 24 hours. All done!

24TRenderingLard


This post linked to two for tuesdays!

7 comments:

  1. This sounds fabulous! I've been on the hunt for blue cornmeal lately, but have almost admitted defeat and am looking for a mill to grind my own!! I'm not familiar with Xanthum Gum...so I'll have to go research that. I would love to bake up a pan of your cornbread. Thanks so much for sharing with Two for Tuesdays again =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that they add powdered milk to sour cream! Thanks for the great info - and the easy sour cream recipe. I'll have to try making my own now. This corn bread also looks great and I love that it's GF. I am not personally GF but I have been wanting to cut back on my wheat and gluten intake. I'm also unframiliar with Xanthum Gum - do you know what it is exactly? I guess I'll just have to join girlichef in doing some research ;) Thanks for adding this great post to our Two for Tuesday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I'm a celiac, and always love to see a good gf recipe. I love blue corn. But I have to laugh because it always makes me think of my mom, who refuses to eat blue corn or potatoes (and yet she'll eat blue m&ms). Thank you for bringing a great gluten-free recipe to the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlchef- can you order some from your local co op?
    Beth- yes, powdered milk is in lots of things, including milk (lowfat)!
    butterpoweredbike- I'm happy to support the GF movement, not sure if I really need to be GF. I'm going to reindroduce gluten soon and we will see...

    Here is some xanthum gum info. It's not really a whole food. It's an additive. You need it to replace gluten in baked goods. If I made bread and used rice flour without xanthum gum it would just fall apart. It also adds a smooth texture. I avoided it forever, but now I think it's worth it for the benefits of not eating gluten all the time. You can, however, be gluten free without it. Here is some detailed info I got from the whole life nutrition kitchen, which is a great GF and whole food blog!
    (http://www.nourishingmeals.com)

    "Xanthan gum derives its name from the strain of bacteria used during the fermentation process, Xanthomonas campestris. Xanthomonas campestris is the same bacteria responsible for causing black rot to form on broccoli, cauliflower and other leafy vegetables. The bacteria form a slimy substance which acts as a natural stabilizer or thickener. The United States Department of Agriculture ran a number of experiments involving bacteria and various sugars to develop a new thickening agent similar to corn starch or guar gum. When Xanthomonas campestris was combined with corn sugar, the result was a colorless slime called xanthan gum."

    So I know it sounds unappealing.. but it's worth a try. Xanthum gum is appearing in lots of store bought goods these days, even lots that do not need it, just for added consistancy. It will probably be in any GF food you buy. You could also make the corn bread by using spelt instead of the GF flours and xanthum gum.

    Let me know how the cornbread turns out if you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made blue cornbread in the past and while it was OK - my family balked at eating it. The color I guess turned them off. I love how you doctored it up - yum! I am going to try to make the sour cream, just need some buttermilk. Thanks for the easy directions. Great Two for Tuesday post - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh isnt this FUN! I adore when you make something that is typically one way and jazz it up! I also love the taste of blue corn. Its like varietal wine, it has a different almost sweeter taste! Thanks for sharing on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try psyllium husks instead of xanthan gum.

    ReplyDelete